Emergency contact information
- Ambulance/Fire/Police – 000
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636
- Men’s Line Australia – 1300 78 99 78
- Salvo Care Line – 1300 36 36 22
- Kids Help Line – counselling and support provided for young people who are feeling depressed.
- Salvo Youth Line – (02) 8736 3293 (Sydney local call)
- Suicide Call Back Service – 1300 659 467
In an emergency visit your local hospital’s emergency department.
If you are feeling down, lost, unmotivated or if you don’t know how you feel it is a really good idea to find someone you trust and have the benefit of counselling. Ideally you find someone who has knowledge or insight into your circumstances as a retired athlete. Ex athletes can be great counsellors without even knowing it. Acknowledging that this process is normal and hearing someone else’s experiences is extremely beneficial and powerful.
If you feel like you need counselling, visit your GP who can recommend you to a therapist. Medicare covers a substantial amount of the counselling costs for the first 10 visits.
myCompass is an interactive self-help service that aims to promote resilience and wellbeing for all Australians. myCompass is a guide to good mental health – it points you in the right direction. You can track your moods, write about them and view information and tips. You can also choose to do one of the modules designed to help you manage mild to moderate stress, anxiety and depression.