Crossing the Line Sydney Summit
Athlete Mental Health and Identity
Since our first Sydney Summit in February 2017, a huge number of current and former athletes have spoken out about the mental and practical challenges they face, making the need for further Summits clear.
On Friday 10 November, we’ll be joined by current and former athletes, and a variety of sporting experts, for a deeper dive into mental health, identity and why athletes need dual pathways.
With empowering panels and hands-on workshops, the Summit will be packed with actionable insights and practical information, opportunities and tools.
How the sporting world is embracing mental health
- Why sound mental health is so important in the sporting world.
- The importance of creating a culture within your sporting organisation that embraces mental health awareness.
- How to create a stigma-free environment for athletes, where sound mental health is seen as a key part of being an excellent athlete, a well-rounded human an enabler of a smoother transition.
Who am I, without my sport?
- Athlete identity crisis: the mental and emotional effects of retirement – why loss of identity is an issue and what can be done.
- How to find an identity away from sport by discovering passion and purpose, from athletes who have achieved that.
- Why it’s important to build a ‘dual pathway’.
- Duty of care: what responsibility do sporting bodies have to facilitate dual pathways/identity outside of sport?
The day will include three workshops running concurrently in the morning and three running concurrently in the afternoon. Pick the workshops that most suits your interests or area of expertise. Don’t worry, there will be takeaways from each workshop at the end of the event for all attendees.
Workshop A: Mental health awareness: how to create a space safe
How to create a culture of mental health awareness in your team or sporting organisation. Where to start. What tools to use. How to reduce the stigma.
Workshop B: Building a dual career: avoiding identity crisis
How to identify and assist athletes with addiction issues on your team, and create a safe environment for athletes.
Workshop C: Creating and managing your online personal brand
How to create and manage a personal brand online in an effective and mentally healthy way.
Workshop A: Building a dual career: avoiding identity crisis
Discovering your passion and purpose: why and how athletes can identify what excites them outside sport, and build a dual identity.
Workshop B: Transferable skills: what an athlete can bring to business
How transferable skills, such as commitment, dedication, goal setting, focus, can be used in the corporate world.
How to develop effective networking, communication and interviewing skills.
Workshop C: Staying on top of your finances
Strategies for managing your finances during and after your sporting career.
|9.30-10.30||Panel: How the sporting world is embracing mental health|
|10.30-11||Morning tea and networking|
|11-12.30||3 x breakout workshops|
|Afternoon||12.30-1.15||Lunch and networking|
|1.15-2.15||Panel: Who am I, without my sport?|
|2.15-3.45||3 x breakout workshops|
|4.30pm||EY launch, drinks and networking|